19.8.14

Soul Searching

I don’t want to be here in 10 years. I’m just realizing how easy it is to get the perks, the money, the free snacks, and then suddenly I wake up in 10 years and I’m not a writer anymore, I’m a former writer who works in corporate advertising, and that’s not my plan.

Everyone has a plan, so does Hannah Horvath. That’s Hannah Horvath story (25 yo) when she just got her new job as a corporate copy writer in a magazine. She’s been trying to pursue her dream as a writer, whether it’s an e-book or real book, writing is her passion. So once she gets a new job as a corporate writer, she doesn’t count it as a real writer job.

She just realized that after talking to her colleagues about writing. She thinks she’s the only who’s a writer. But her colleagues told her that eveyone there is a writer, who  happened to write a poet and other writing things except ads back then, but still they’re a writer now.

Image taken from here

But a slap in the face came from her boss when she replied Hannah’s last quote, “Alright Hannah, there a lot of other people who would love to have your job”.

A slap in the face for Hannah and every early 20s who just got their first job.  Thinking that s/he might not be in a right place just now and might find one good place that follows her/his passion. Or probably just an early 20s who’s overthinking stuffs that they might just forget to be grateful for what they have now.

But to every early 20s who just got their first job, here’s my note (summarized from an early discussion with my boss).

You’re young and you’re probably in a stage of soul searching. You can’t really find what you actually really want in life and career especially. There’s nothing wrong about hopping from one job to another in order to  find out who you really are. You just have to set a timeline when you should stop and commit to yourself, ‘This is the path I want to choose’.

Lastly, thanks to my three friends, I finally have another TV series to watch after How I Met Your Mother. Hello, Girls!

No comments:

Post a Comment